Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Wheel

I'm like a rat in a maze of circuits
Running around searching for whatever's new
And until the cheese runs out I'll stay here
Waiting for something better to do
Because I find myself just killing time
Then wishing I had it back
It's a stage of arrested development
I'd send it all away if I could find the nerve
There's no way forward without reprieve
We all will get what we deserve
And no more
But less? You bet.
It's just the way things work
This modern world seems so unforgiving
But as long as the clocks on the towers tick
And the Earth spins then it seems we're stuck here
So for better or worse I'll leave it at this
Eat your just desserts, they're just desserts
In the wake of all your thanksgiving.

Hold out for another sunrise
I can see the rays from here
And appreciate them in the light of day
Before they all disappear.
Because what you see isn't what's really there
It's an illusion, a trick, all a hoax
But it's all we can do to experience life
So look out and take in every sight
Because once it's out of your reach it's gone
For good

Don't let the fear of failure work you up
Or bring you down before the cards are turned
There's always an out that lies within doubt
That we're all afraid to admit
Because fear of failure pales to fear of success
That we're as strong as we think that we are
Because if that were true
Then what can a man do
With potential but no direction?
It's the ball on the chain
Strapped to the monkey on your back
That plays the music too loud at night
So you never get your rest
And he's beating the baby
With the screeching cat
Down the blackboard filled with white noise
Just like music to your ears.

Loosen up those reigns
You'll need them no more
Because where we're going
There's open valleys
And we'll sleep under the shade
In the woods of sycamore.

///

When I was a young boy
I didn't have a care in the world
No stress, I'd just watch the earth unfold
From my swingset on the sunny side of the fence
But now that time's gone on
There's no time for play, only work and obligations
And I just can't take the rush of it all
'Cuz I spend my days idle and planning vacations
From life...

All that joy is gone, no more time to waste
Like a bittersweet pie that's been thrown in my face
But it's not my job to sit around and pick up the pieces.
So no matter how much I'd love to reminisce
I've got accounts to close at a time such as this
Once I punch out I'll be free to see you
But until then I've got too much work to do.

Somebody's got to put bread on the table
And if it wasn't me I'm sure she'd find someone else
Because nobody's time is spent for free
And devotion is null if you're devoted to yourself.
But I'm the cure, I'm secure, I come home
Every night to find you resting by the table
If I'm not alone, I won't leave or be irate,
So get up and pull your own weight for once,
If you're able.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home