Thursday, July 09, 2009

Benny and me.

Benny is my new furry friend. I met him two days ago while I was sitting around at home. He came back to the deck and started munching on some stranded blades of grass and prancing around rather slowly, as a bridge that extends itself one way and retracts back onto itself.

Slowly slinking 'cross the green garden grove Benny seemed to gaze upon some poor morsels growing out the ground. In seconds they were no more. Sitting on my workbench, I took a moment to observe his more peculiar maneuvers. Benny never met my gaze that first time, and ran beyond the hedges before I could interact with him.

Today, as I stopped my day to indulge in some literature, Benny came from beyond the brush whence he had left. Sensing his apprehension at seeing the large bipod towering over his bunny-ridden existence, I fled to the kitchen and procured some lettuce from the crisper before returning onto the porch and watching the yard. When Benny had retreated from the deck and onto the lawn once more, I quietly snuck out onto the deck and started scattering the lettuce leaves upon the ground. Halfway through I opened my book and began reading again, still keeping one eye on Benny for some kind of recognition or interaction. His pace was slow, like a cautious tightrope walker, but eventually he had finished what I had left on the ground.

For the next several minutes we sat in silence. I lit a cigarette and started to open communication to Benny. First I gave him my name, then his, and started playing with sounds. I whistled every time that I threw him another shred of lettuce, and I think I may have developed a way to summon his presence in my yard. Eventually, Benny left to go do rabbit things and I saw him make his way towards a thatch where I think he makes his home. Tomorrow I'll go and repeat my experiment and see if he'll give me some company again. Maybe one day he'll invite me over and we can do some rabbit things, so I can learn a new way of life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Kyle said...

I hope Garnet doesn't eat the results!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Dylan said...

She died in October. I think Benny will be my new pet, but I'm going to let him do his own thing out in the yard.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home