Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Oil.

We were given a task, to work into our verseā€™n,
For the subject of our prose could not be the first person,
And after much thought and a little thesaurus,
Came a plethora of words that would work for us,
First came the obvious or not so suggestions: me,
Us, mein, regarding myself, whatever your variation shall be,
Or address a topic, one that is fresh and new,
To avoid using the word recently deemed taboo,
And so, after much thought and improvisation of sorts,
My prose is now yours to read, the fruit of my efforts.

Today was a day of light to moderate realization, centering around me of course. Why, you may ask? Because my world centers around me, that doesn't make me self-centered though. There are others that would confuse self-interest with selfishness, and the key difference is moderation. For instance, this blog is about me, because that's a subject that is easy for me to write about. Does that make me self-centered? Methinks not.

There are people in this world, and they know who they are, who work wonders and go unrecognized. They are the oil that keeps the machines smooth, they are the ones we go to with our problems, they are Jack's smooth transition (500 points to anyone who catches that reference). Today, while sitting in Psychology, a memory presented itself to me, triggered by some unknown stimulus.

It must have been in fourth grade, or somewhere thereabouts. Maybe it was fifth grade, my memory around that time is really hazy. Anyway, it was a fairly normal day at school, and my lunch had been stolen when everyone was out playing at recess. It was a pizza Lunchables, that's for sure. That used to be a big staple in my diet, Lunchables, because my mother was always busy with school or anything and those were convenient because they were relatively cheap and easy to prepare.

It was fifth grade, because Mr. McDonald worked at the Pier School and not at the elementary school. Repeating the process that typified previous days, the office attendant went into the teacher's room to get me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the fridge. They kept those in there for kids who had forgotten their lunch or something like that. But today, Mr. McDonald came out of the room and told me to wait until lunch had started before asking for a sandwich, which my fifth grade mind took as a scolding. It was still recess, probably about halfway through it actually, so there was still time to work up an appetite for the lunch that wasn't there for me.

About ten minutes later, the useless aids herded all of us into the cafeteria and tried to organize the lines. On my trip back to the office, Mr. McDonald intercepted me and handed me an Italian grinder from the D'Angelos that was just down the street. Later that week, when my lunch went missing again, he brought me another sub. Gym class got a lot better after that too, because he started passing me the ball more often and encouraged other kids to let me on their teams and things of the like. It's good to see teachers that care about their students.

They are Jack's driving force. They are the MacGuffins of society. They save your neck, your face and every other colloquialism that is associated with saving a body part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home