Sunday, July 23, 2006

This is the problem.

"Hey guys, how've you been?" Asked the boy with the unkempt hair. There was more to his persona, but that was simply his most outstanding and identifiable feature.

"Good," his companions replied, politely adding "and yourself?"

"Fine, I've just been busy, you know? All the work is getting to me and then there are the expectations that people have." He replied, sighing heavily at the end, signifying his stresses.

"Yeah, I understand," said the quietest of the group, "we're all busy. After all, junior year is already upon us!"

"I can't believe that the DMV wasn't open when I got out. I need to get my permit on the 3rd of next month! And that's the first opening in my schedule." Came the echo of frustration from another, characterized by a very whiny voice.

"Guys, I have a date tonight, and I have no idea what to do for it. I mean, a movie, dinner, a mall? I'm clueless!" Was the final comparison of stresses, coming from the shaking one.

"Junior year? Permit? First date? What the hell are you guys talking about?" Came the shocked inquiry of the boy with the unkempt hair. "You guys, we're going to college, and we all drive, and I know for a fact that you've all had your dating cherry popped. What the hell is going on here?"

"What do you mean, expectations?" The quiet one asked, betraying their usually quiet status. "Please, we're just kids, nobody expects a thing from us."

"No, we're all expected to do basic things, like pass our upcoming drivers tests." The whiny one proclaimed defiantly.

"I wonder if they'll expect, a kiss at the end of the night, or just a nice dinner, or maybe a confirmation of a second date. Oh, decisions, decisions..." The shaking one muttered, seemingly directed at none of the other group members.

"Why are we even doing this? It's a time for change, it's a time for development. How long do you expect to grow within these confines?" The boy with the unkempt hair noted, becoming frustrated at something.

"What, are you afraid of our junior year?"
"Or that you won't do well on your license test?"
"Or about girls, have you considered that you're gay?"

"I'm not afraid, that's what's controlling all of you. I'm not saying that I'm not afraid, but I'm glad to be free of all those problems. Fear is totally normal, but fear doesn't mean paranoia."

"College? Hah! I haven't even started looking at them!"
"You mean you're driving without your license? That's illegal!"
"Hah, I know for a fact that you haven't done a thing! You're so sheltered."

"And here it comes with the insults. What's your problem? My choices are my own? What does it matter to you if I decide to change myself? I'm not changing you, am I? Change is necessary, and you guys are just so... static..." The boy with the unkempt hair stated, turning his back and walking away, obviously angered.

"Why are we doing what, staying in school? Please, we all want to go somewhere!"
"Don't you want to drive around on your own?"
"Please, don't even try to deny that you want to love and be loved in return."

A pause.

"We are changing! We're just coping with these changes in different ways. We're upperclassmen, so why don't we start acting like them?"
"I wouldn't call change necessary, I get nostalgic a lot. I miss the good old days."
"That's a rather polygamous attitude, why don't you just settle down?"

Another pause, and at a closer look nothing was said.

"Confines? We're becoming free! Once you become an adult, parents lose authority! We are discarding our shackles!"
"Yeah, driving will give you so much freedom! You can go wherever you want!"
"Do you really hate love that much that you view it as a cage?"

But there was no argument against them, for the boy had already left.

"Fear? Control me? Please! I don't want the extra work but I could sure go for the benefits. I'd hardly call that fear!"
"Overcompensation is better than undercompensation, that's what my daddy always said!"
"Are you sure you're not afraid of commitment? The way you've been talking is leading me to believe..."

They just went on for hours, down the line.

But he was gone. And they were

Oblivious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home